Brownstown House

Brownstown House is located four miles from Navan. A Regency cum neo-classical villa erected by the Sommervilles probably about 1801. Nearby is the ruins and graveyard of Brownstown. A courtyard of buildings was erected at Browtown to the north of the house. A walled garden was to the south-west of the house. In 1837 Brownstown was the property and formerly residence of the Sommerville family and was then being put into a state of repair. The Cornwall family acquired Brownstown from the Somervilles. They occupied the property in the 1850s on lease from the Sommervilles. In 1911 William Cornwall and his three sisters were living at Brownstown House. Nearby lived John Cornwall and his family. William Stewart Cornwall, a solicitor, of South Frederick Street, Dublin and Brownstown House died in 1925. His sister was Miss Nora Cornwall. The house was acquired by Dr. Ross who practised in Navan and the last of the Cornwalls, two sisters, retired to Trim. The estate of 490 acres was then acquired by the Land Commission and divided.