Ballymagarvey House

Ballymagarvey House at Balrath, Navan was described by Casey and Rowan as a two-storey gabled house of mid to late 18th century with a later 19th century square porch. There was a good number of outbuildings and a walled garden. The main avenue went by the graveyard with a secondary avenue from the Dublin road. In 1836 the house was occupied by Mrs. Osborne. Nearby stood the Blacklion public house which took its name from the sign over the door. In the 1850s the house was held by Rev. Charles Osborne and some of the land was held by Margaret Osborne. The house was occupied by Euphemia E. Hodson. In 1887 Balfour Stewart, a Scottish physicist died at his home at Ballymagarvey. His first studies were in the field of radiant heat and he later became director of Kew Observatory. In 1870 he became professor of physics at Owens College, Manchester. Robert Edward Going lived for a number of years at Ballymagarvey. His eldest son, John, was born at Ballymagarvey in 1890 and went on to serve in the Sudan. In 1911the Ainsworth family were living at the house. Today the house provides a luxury venue for weddings, conferences and other gatherings. There are also seven restored cottages in the courtyard. Set on 107 acres of parkland the house also provides nine luxurious rooms.

Copied from:

meath-roots.com

For more on Balfour Stewart:

http://iainthepict.blogspot.ie/2010/12/dr-balfour-stewart.html