Danistown.

 

 

The Lewis Topographical Directory was first published in 1837 in two volumes, with an accompanying atlas.  The first edition is available online. A second edition was published in 1842.

Lewis relied on the information provided by local contributors and on the earlier works published such as Coote's Statistical Survey (1801), Taylor and Skinner's Maps of the Road of Ireland (1777), Pigot's Trade Directory (1824) and other sources. He also used the various parliamentary reports and in particular the census of 1831 and the education returns of the 1820s and early 1830s. Local contributors were given the proof sheets for final comment and revision. The names of places are those in use prior to the publication of the Ordnance Survey Atlas in 1838. Distances are in Irish miles (the statute mile is 0.62 of an Irish mile).

 

 

 

 

Danistown, a parish, in the barony of Skreen, county of Meath, and province of Leinster, 6 1/2 miles (S.) from Slane; containing 145 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Nannywater, and on the road from Navan, by Blacklion, to Duleek, comprising 1144 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the system of agriculture is improved; there is neither waste land nor bog. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and forms part of the union of Kentstown: the tithes amount to £80; the glebe comprises 1a. 2r. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Blacklion; the chapel is a neat plain building.