Top of Flower Hill c. mid 20th century
(above) Looking towards Flower Hill 1981 - before the Inner Relief road cut through it at Fox's Pub which is standing at Pollboy Bridge (middle distance). Note the 2 way traffic. Photo by Seán Donoghue and courtesy of Donoghue Electric Navan.
Flower Hill from Pollboy Bridge 2011 - one way traffic up the Hill.
Photo © N&DHS
Flower Hill in Griffith's Valuation 1860
From 1 to 52 are in the townland of Blackcastle Demesne, Parish of Donaghmore.
Flower Hill, Town of Navan. Townland of Pollbwee. Griffith Valuation. The numbers show where the property is on the valuation map. They are not house numbers. The valuations are from £1 to £3 7 shillings. The landlord was the Earl of Essex. The names are the residents between 1847 and 1864. The descriptions are mainly house and small garden.
53. James Gavin 70. Patrick Reilly
54. Patrick Byrne 71. Thomas M'Eiver
55. Peter Carroll 72. John McEvoy
56. Anne Sheridan 73. James Muldoon
57. Patrick Farrelly 74. John Taaffe
58. Wm. M'Cann 75. Thomas Brogan
59. Vacant 76. Alice brady
60. Anne M'Gauveran 77. John Byrne
61. Anne Carroll 78. Robert Murray
62. Michael Murray 79. John Halpin
63. John Murray 80. Maurice Carty
64. John Lowe 81. Philip Clusker
65. John Connolly 82. John Reilly
66. Michael Flood 83. Owen Ludlow
67. Thomas M'Dermott 84. Catherine Kelly
68. Peter Corrigan
69. Thomas M'Evoy
Numbers 85 to 106 are in the townland of Blackcastle Demesne, Parish of Donaghmore.
The Beaufort Family home (below) once stood at the top of Flower Hill near the Round O, but was demolished for the construction of the Inner Relief Road.
County: Meath Site name: SITE 2, FLOWER HILL, NAVAN
Excavations.ie number: 2004:1299 License number: 03E1352
Author: Ellen O'Carroll, The Archaeology Company, 17 Castle Street, Dalkey, Co. Dublin.
Site type: Urban post-medieval
ITM: E 687132m, N 768219m
Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.656472, -6.681828
Further investigations of a stone wall discovered during testing in August 2003 (Excavations 2003, No. 1428) were carried out. The wall had been uncovered in three trenches during the testing phase. It was oriented east-west and north-south. The further investigations determined that the wall and associated cobbled surface were post-medieval/ modern in date. The wall did not continue under the site of the demolished buildings but abutted the rear foundation wall. It also abutted the 19th-century foundation wall, which ran along the access lane at the northern side of the site. Finds retrieved from the site included animal bone, modern pottery, metal, a clay-pipe fragment and glass fragments.