Ludlow St. was once called Dublingate St. as it led down to the gate in the town walls on the road to Dublin. After the Cromwellian dispossessions in the mid 17th century, the Nangle Estate came into the hands of John Preston. John's daughter Mary married Peter Ludlow, who was M.P. for Meath in 1719 and 1727. Peter Ludlow was created Baron Ludlow of Ardsallagh in 1735, and Viscount Preston of Ardsallagh and first Earl of Ludlow in 1760.
(Above) Ludlow St. - mid 19th century (photo courtesy C. Ryan)
Photo: © Navan & District Historical Society
Ludlow St. in 2011 (above) looking towards Market Sq. The stone building in the right foreground with the white door marks the location of the old Tholsel or Market House,
Ludlow St. was once called Dublingate St.
In the 1700s the name of this street
changed to Ludlow St. after
Lord Ludlow, one of the local
gentry descended from Cromwell's
General of the same name.
He had married into the Preston Family,
who had replaced the Nangles as
Barons of Navan after the
No 12 Ludlow St. Reel's Shop (The Oriel Cafe
marks the site of the Dublin Gate, and the
southern limit of the medieval town).
Photo: © Navan & District Historical Society
The Last Picture Show
(below left) The old Palace Cinema Ludlow St. 2004 (Photo Brendan McNally)
and (below right) its reincarnation as the Palace Nightclub (photo 2012)
Ludlow St. in the 1940s
The information below is from Frank Lynch (postman) late of St. Finian's Tce.
1. Tara Restaurant
2. Medical Hall, Finnegan / Barry Reilly
3. Noonan Solicitors
4. Old Court House
5. Katie Lallaway Private Residence. [ Tubberourm - alleged home of Collier the Robber]
6. Tuites Butcher
7. Vaughan's Pub.
8. New Cornmarket - [a number of people lived in this area , including people by the namer of Hand. There were some small workshops, and the local Electricity Turbine was housed here also.]
9. Berminghams / Marmions Pub
10. John Nolan Chemist
11. Finnegans Grocery, Pub and Undertaker
12. Foundry Lane On this lane Jody Clarke & Manus McNamee had a furniture factory. Also Elliott's Foundry made fork heads here.
13. Martin Healy's now the Oriel
14. Barney Allen Bicycle Shop and Hackney hire.
15. Finucane's Menswear.
16. Gilsenan's Meal Store
17. Palace Cinema
18. Finucane's General Household Goods
19. McKenna's Private Residence and Guesthouse
20. Nicky Naulty Music Shop
21. Minnagh's Laies Hairdressers
22. Cooke's Tailors
Ludlow St. in 2004
1. 2004: The Poppy Seed. This was the Tara Restaurant owned by Pat Fitzsimons and he lived here.
Petty and Quarter Sessions were held in the Courthouse. Meath County Council met there up to 1912. There were stocks outside to hold criminals and villians awaiting trial. They are now in front of the Town Hall in Watergate Street. Some of the thick barred gaol windows still remain.
Photos: © Navan & District Historical Society
7. 2004: P. Bermingham Pub (above). The shop front had been featured as a good example of shopfront preservation.
With a licence dating back to 1884, Birmingham’s is the oldest existing pub in Navan. Patrick Bermingham was born in Dublin and apprenticed in the city’s Broadstone Bar. In 1884, he moved to Navan, and purchased the two room bar and grocery, returning to Dublin every week to collect fresh Guinness kegs from St. James Gate. The bar’s interior, a Victorian treat, made his pub one of the most popular places when Navan’s great Leinster Fair, held every 14th November, was among the great agricultural shows in Europe.
Bermingham died at the age of 35, and for the next 60 years, his sister Jane ran the bar. In 1917 she adopted a five year old cousin John Marmion, who grew up in the pub, working behind the grocery counter from an early age. On Jane’s death in 1948 he succeeded to the business. He died in 1985 and in 2013 the pub is owned by his widow Margaret Kerley and son Michael.
The Tholsel. The Old Tholsel, Toll House, or market house (described by Isaac Butler as "a low mean building") was demolished about 1800.
In that year, Earl Ludlow and the Deputy Portreeve applied to the Grand Jury for funds to build the Sessions House, and in the following year Courts were held in Arthur Murphy's House, (Meath Grand Jury Records). We may perhaps assume that the Court House was built upon the same site, for high up on the south wall is a carved stone, which commemorates an earlier building. It states that; "Edmund Maninge was overseer of this work in the year of Our Lord 1632. On whose soul the Lord have mercy."
The Tholsel was the centre of the town's trade. In 1757 Patrick Rooney, the Deputy Portreeve, was given a lease for ever of the cellars under it, and liberty to erect butcher's stalls around it, the sale of meat elsewhere being forbidden.
Corporation Minutes, 1st November 1757: The lease passed to his widow, and then to the Aylmer family, £5 per year compensation being paid when the building was demolished.
Corporation Minutes, 29th September 1802: Patrick Rooney was evidently a zealous official, who was being rewarded for his services. The Corporation recorded its thanks to him on his retirement from office, "for his constant attendance on the business of this Corporation, and for his prudent, wise, and active behaviour in his office and for suppressing all kinds of riots and disorders."
Corporation Minutes, 24th September 1760: Previous to the establishment of this market, the streets had been obstructed by the numerous butchers' blocks, and bulks (stalls), and also by all the "idle carrs" found in the public street after sunset. Owners of these were to be fined 6 pence, or else the "carrs" were to be sold to pay the fine.
Corporation Minutes, 5th February 1746: Custom dies hard, and up to the beginning of the 1900s butchers' stalls were still erected in Market Square twice weekly, together with those of butter, fowl, eggs, clothing and quack medicines.
Recent Excavation in Ludlow St.