Follistown.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer 0f Ireland 1844-1845 Vol.2.
Follistown, or Fonlystown, a parish in the barony of Skreen, 2 1/2 miles south east of Navan, co. Meath, Leinster. Area, 651 acres. Pop. in 1831, 137; in 1841, 138. Houses 27. This parish is an entirely impropriate rectory, in the dio. of Meath; and its occasional duties are performed by the incumbent of Skreen. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 4, and the Roman Catholics to 137.

The Lewis Topographical Directory was first published in 1837 in two volumes, with an accompanying atlas.  The first edition is available online. A second edition was published in 1842.

Lewis relied on the information provided by local contributors and on the earlier works published such as Coote's Statistical Survey (1801), Taylor and Skinner's Maps of the Road of Ireland (1777), Pigot's Trade Directory (1824) and other sources. He also used the various parliamentary reports and in particular the census of 1831 and the education returns of the 1820s and early 1830s. Local contributors were given the proof sheets for final comment and revision. The names of places are those in use prior to the publication of the Ordnance Survey Atlas in 1838. Distances are in Irish miles (the statute mile is 0.62 of an Irish mile).

 

 

 

Follistown, or Fonlistown, a parish, in the barony of Skreen, county of Meath, and province of Leinster, 24 miles (S. E.) from Navan, near the road to Duleek; containing, with the parish of Staffordstown, 137 inhabitants. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, entirely impropriate in F. Murphy, Esq., of Kilcarn, to whom the tithes, amounting to £36 are payable. The clerical duties are performed gratuitously by the incumbent of Skreen.

 

Slater's Directory 1894.

 

Follistown,

a parish in co. Meath, barony of Skreen, union of Navan, 2 1/2 miles east from Navan station on the Midland Great Western and the Great Northern railways, containing 1 townland. The area comprises 653 acres ; the population in 1891 was 45.