The Lewis Topographical Directory was first published in 1837 in two volumes, with an accompanying atlas.  The first edition is available online. A second edition was published in 1842.

Lewis relied on the information provided by local contributors and on the earlier works published such as Coote's Statistical Survey (1801), Taylor and Skinner's Maps of the Road of Ireland (1777), Pigot's Trade Directory (1824) and other sources. He also used the various parliamentary reports and in particular the census of 1831 and the education returns of the 1820s and early 1830s. Local contributors were given the proof sheets for final comment and revision. The names of places are those in use prior to the publication of the Ordnance Survey Atlas in 1838. Distances are in Irish miles (the statute mile is 0.62 of an Irish mile).

 

Rathboyne, a parish, partly in the barony of Lower Navan, but chiefly in that of barony of Kells, county of Meath, and province of Leinster, 2 1/2 miles (S. by E.) from Kells, on the road to Kilcock, and from Longford to Drogheda; containing 1971 inhabitants. It comprises 3920 3/4 statute acres, nearly equally under grass and tillage; there is plenty of limestone. Ballybeg is the seat of T. O'Reilly, Esq.; and Charlesfort, of C. A. Tisdall, Esq. Mr. O'Reilly has a nursery of 100 statute acres, affording employment to about 80 persons. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Kells: the tithes amount to £276. 18. 5 1/2. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ardbraccan; the chapel at Cortown is a handsome modern building, with a school contiguous. At Charlesfort is a school, the master of which is allowed £15 per ann., with a house and garden, and two tons of coal yearly, by C. A. Tisdall, Esq.; in these schools about 110 children are taught.