Temple Kieran

The Lewis Topographical Directory was first published in 1837 in two volumes, with an accompanying atlas.  The first edition is available online. A second edition was published in 1842.

Lewis relied on the information provided by local contributors and on the earlier works published such as Coote's Statistical Survey (1801), Taylor and Skinner's Maps of the Road of Ireland (1777), Pigot's Trade Directory (1824) and other sources. He also used the various parliamentary reports and in particular the census of 1831 and the education returns of the 1820s and early 1830s. Local contributors were given the proof sheets for final comment and revision. The names of places are those in use prior to the publication of the Ordnance Survey Atlas in 1838. Distances are in Irish miles (the statute mile is 0.62 of an Irish mile).

Temple Kieran, a parish, in the barony of Skreen, county of Meath, and province of Leinster, 4 miles (S. E.) from Navan, near the mail coach road from Dublin to Enniskillen; containing 398 inhabitants. This parish comprises, with the chapelry of Lismullen, l957 3/4 statute acres of good land. It is a chapelry, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Skreen: the tithes, including those of Lismullen, amount to £180. The church is a neat modern structure, erected in 1811 by parochial assessment, and a loan of £461 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Skreen.

********

Templekieran

Templekieran, Templekeeran, or Templekerran, a parish in the barony of Skreen, 3 1/2 miles south east of Navan, co. Meath, Leinster.  Length, westward, 1 1/2 mile; extreme breadth, l; area, 1,067 acres, l rood, 39 perches, of which 162 acres, 3 roods, 33 perches lie detached about 1/4 of a mile to the south. Pop., in 1831, 396; in 1841, 342.  Houses 48.  The surface consists of good land, and declines westward to within a mile of the river Boyne.  The main body contains the hamlet of Corballis; and the detached district is traversed by the road from Navan to Dunshaughlin. This parish is a chapelry, and part of the benefice of Skreen, in the dio. of Meath.  Tithe composition, jointly with that of Lismullen chapelry, £130. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 3, and the Roman Catholics to 403; and there was neither church, chapel, nor school. Both the Commissioners of Public Instruction and those of Ecclesiastical Ecclesiastical Revenues and Patronage, indeed return the church of the benefice of Skreen as in Templekieran; but the Ordnance Survey exhibits it as in Lismullen, about 5 furlongs from the nearest part of Templekieran.

Source: Parliamentary Gazatteer of Ireland, 1845.

********

Slater's Directory 1894

Templekiernan, a parish in co. Meath, barony of Skreen, union of Navan, Protestant diocese of Meath, 4 miles south east from Navan, near to the river Boyne and containing 4 townlands. The area comprises 1,067 acres; the population in 1891 was 41.

Wilkinso, John, Corballis.