Ordnance Survey Field Name Book 1835
Baile Mhaistúin, Mace's or May's town.
Macetown: John O'Donovan.
Macetowne: Down Survey.
Macestowne: Down Survey Map.
Macetowne: Civil Survey 1654 -1656.
This townland is situated on the west side of the parish.
It is bounded on the north by the parish of Ardbraccan and the townland of Philpotstown.
It is bounded on the east by the townlands of Plilpotstown and Williamstown or Bawn.
It is bounded on the south by Bective parish.
It is bounded on the west by the parishes of Ardbraccan and Rataine.
It contains 316 acres 2 roods 22 perches statute measure, all under cultivation. It is the property of Earl Ludlow. Agent, Mr. Maguire of Cavan. It is let at will ( no leases ) at a rent of from 30 shillings to 40 shillings per Irish acre. Size of farms, from 40 to 100 Irish acres. Soil, stiff yellow clay with limestone bottom, producing pretty good crops of wheat, oats and potatoes, but bad crops of flax. The manure used is dung and soil taken out of the ditches. The houses of the tenantry are all of mud and are generally dirty.