Tryvett.

 

 

Tryvett, or Travet, a parish in the baronies of Ratoath and Skreen, 2 miles north of Dunshaughlin, co. Meath, Leinster. Length, in the direction of south east by east, 3 3/4 miles; extreme breadth, 2 1/4. Area of the Ratoath section, 1,207 acres, 1 rood, 12 perches; of the Skreen section, 2,962 acres, 1 rood, 27 perches. Pop. of the whole, in 1831, 418; in 1841, 416. Houses 71. Pop. of the Skreen section, in 1831, 341; in 1841, 263. Houses 44. The surface consists of some of the best land in the kingdom. The principal residences are Grangehouse and Gerrardstown house. The roads from Dunshaughlin to Skreen and Navan, and that from Ratoath to Skreen, pass through the interior.—This parish is a rectory, in the dio. of Meath. Tithe composition, £200 5s. The rectories of Tryvett and Kilbrew, constitute the benefice of Tryvett. Length, 6 miles; breadth, 2. Pop., in 1831, 769. Gross income, £410 15s.; nett, £323 15s. 11d. Patron, the Crown. The church is situated in Kilbrew. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 17, and the Roman Catholics to 414; the Protestants of the union to 41, and the Roman Catholics to 751; and there was no school.

 

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 1837.

TRYVETT, or TREVET, a parish, partly in the barony of Ratoath, but chiefly in that of Skreen, county of Meath, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (N.N.E.) from Dunshauglin, on the road from Navan to Ratoath; containing 418 inhabitants. This place was distinguished in the earliest ages of Christianity in Ireland by the foundation of a considerable monastery, the founder of which is unknown; though pillaged by the Danes in 917, destroyed by fire in 1145, and plundered by the men of Hy Briuin in 1152, it appears to have existed till the settlement of the English in Meath. The ancient town was rebuilt soon afterwards by Hugh de Lacy, who placed here a colony of his English followers, and upon this occasion the monastery appears to have been superseded by the erection of a large church in honour of St. Patrick. The town continued to flourish for many years, and acquired considerable importance; it subsequently, however, fell into decay and is now only an obscure village. The parish comprises 5669 statute acres, chiefly pasture; the soil is of excellent quality, and the arable land, under an improving system of agriculture, produces good crops. Green Park is the residence of Cope Garnett, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council, in 1678, to the rectory of Kilbrew, and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes amount to £200. 5., and of the union to £379. 15. The glebe house is situated about a mile from the church, having been built in 1815, at an expense of £794 British, of which £461 was a loan and £277 a gift, from the late Board of First Fruits, the residue being defrayed by the incumbent. The glebe, situated in the parish of Kilbrew, comprises lla. lr. 71)., subject to a rent of £31. The church also is in Kilbrew, and was rebuilt and enlarged about 80 years since. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Skreen.