Rataine,

 

 

Retaine, or Rathayne, a parish in the barony of Lower Navan, 3 1/2 miles north north east of Trim, co. Meath, Leinster. Length, eastward, 2 3/4 miles; extreme breadth, 1 1/4; area, 1,631 acres, 3 roods, l l perches. Pop., in 1831, 370; in 1841, 403. Houses 71. The surface consists wholly of profitable land; and is traversed across its east end by the road from Trim to Navan. The seats are Philpotstown house and Rataine cottage, the former the residence of John T. Young, Esq.-This parish is a rectory, and part of the benefice of Ardbraccan, in the dio. of Meath. The tithe composition is returned in cumulo with that of the other rectories of the benefice. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 9, and the Roman Catholics to 373; and there was neither church, chapel, nor school.

Source: Irish Parliamentary Gazzateer 1845.

 

 

Rataine Cottage

 

Rataine Cottage is located on the road between Robinstown and Dunderry. In 1835 Rataine cottage was described as a very neat cottage on the south side of the townland of Rataine. It had about 30 acres of land attached to it and was the residence of Captain Preston in 1835. The townland was held by Rev. Joseph Preston of Bellinter.

Source: meath-roots.com