Kilmessan.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer 0f Ireland 1844-1845 Vol.2.
Kilmessan, a parish, containing a village of the same name, 5 miles east of Trim, barony of Lower Deece, co. Meath, Leinster. Length, 2 1/2 miles ; breadth, 2 ; area, 3,337 acres. Pop., in 1831, 812; in 1841, 773. Houses 135. Area of the village, 12 acres. Pop., in 1831, 146; in 1841, 138. Houses 25.
The land is of medium quality, and forms part of the right side of the basin of the Boyne. The road from Trim to Skreen passes through the interior; and adjacent to it is the old demesne of Swanstown This parish is a vicarage, in the dio. of Meath. Vicarial tithe composition, £175; glebe, £44 11s. The rectorial tithes are compounded for £50, and are impropriate in the Marquis of Drogheda. The vicarage of Kilmessan and the chapelry of Macetown, constitute the benefice of Kilmessan. The parishes lie about 4 miles asunder. Pop., in 1831, 1,231. Gross income, £229 11s.; nett, £209 Is. 6d. Patron, the Marquis of Drogheda. The church is an old building. Sittings 150; attendance, about 30.
The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of from 500 to 600; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Dunsany. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 49, and the Roman Catholics to 796; the Protestants of the union to 66, and the Roman Catholics to 1,211; and a daily school in the parish was salaried with £5 from collections at the chapel, and had on its books 98 boys and 49 girls.