.

 

Monkstown.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer 0f Ireland 1844-1845 Vol.2.
Monkstown, a parish in the barony of Skreen, 5 miles south east by east of Navan, co. Meath, Leinster. Length, southward, 2 1/4 miles; extreme breadth, 1 3/4; area, 1,869 acres, 3 roods, 36 perches. Pop., in 1831, 429; in 1841, 460. Houses 73. The surface is a part of the rich plain of Meath, 2 3/4 miles north east of Tara; and it is drained eastward by the Nanny Water, and traversed by the road from Trim to Duleek. The hamlets are Walterstown and Fairland. This parish is a wholly impropriate district, in the dio. of Meath. The Roman Catholic chapel is situated at Walterstown, and has an attendance of 400; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, it is united to the chapel of Johnstown in Athlumney. In 1834, the parishioners were all Roman Catholics; and a school at Walterstown was salaried with £10 from the National Board, and £10 from subcription. and had on its books 30 boys and girls.