The Parliamentary Gazetteer 0f Ireland 1844-1845 Vol.2.



Kentstown, a parish in the barony of Lower Duleek, 5 1/4 miles south west by west of the town of Duleek, co. Meath, Leinster. Length, 1 3/4 mile; breadth, 1 1/2; area, 2,521 acres. Pop., in 1831, 500; in 1841, 514. Houses 84. The surface consists of four different qualities of land, all in about equal proportions; and is traversed northward by the road from Dublin to Slane.

This parish is a rectory in the dio. of Meath. Tithe composition, £200; glebe, £24. The rectories of Kentstown and Danistown, and the vicarage of Ballymagarvey , constitute the benefice of Kentstown. Length, 3 3/4 miles; breadth, 1/1/2. Pop. in 1831, 1,027. Gross income, £399 12s. 6d.; nett, £305 17s 6 1/2d. Patron of Kentstown, Lord Dunsanny; of Danistown and Ballymagarvey, the Crown. The church was built about 86 years ago, and was subsequently enlarged at the expense of the parish; and the steeple was erected, in 1797, by Sir James Somerville. Sittings 200; attendance 55. There is a Roman Catholic chapel in Ballymagarvey. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 40, and the Roman Catholics to 456; the Protestants of the union to 70, and the Roman Catholics to 988; a free girls' school in the parish was supported by Lady Maria Sommerville, and had on its books 12 girls; and a hedge school in Ballymagarvey was usually attended by about 20 children.