Stackallen.

 

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland: Adapted to the New Poor Law. Volume 3.
STACKALLEN,
a parish, containing a village of the same name, in the barony of Upper Slane, co. Meath, Leinster. Length, south-eastward, 2 miles; breadth, from 14 to 1; ; area, 2,351 acres, 30 perches, —of which 20 acres, I rood, 24 perches are in the river Boyne. Pop., in 1831, 837; in 1841, 748. Houses 137. The land is aggregately good; and declines slowly south eastward to the Boyne. The interior is traversed by the road from Navan to Slane. The seats are Hormanstown House, Causestown House, Firmount House, and Stackallen or Boyne House, the last the former residence of Viscount Boyne.
“This fine residence is situated, with impressive propriety, near the banks of the river, which imparts a title to its noble owner, and was the scene of the exploits which led to the selection of that title, when his lordship's ancestor was advanced in the Irish peerage. Gustavus, first Viscount Boyne, among other important services in the wars consequent upon the expulsion of the Stuart family, headed a regiment at the battle of the Boyne, and narrowly escaped death, having his horse killed under him. He was created Baron Hamilton of Stackallen in 1715, and Viscount Boyne in 1717. His lordship died September 16th, 1723, in the 84th year of his age, and is buried in the church of Stackallen, where also are interred his lady, and many other members of this distinguished family.”
The village of Stackallen stands on a cross-road, half-a-mile north of the Navan and Slane road, 3 1/4 miles north-east of Navan, and 3 1/2 west-south-west of Slane. It contains the parish-church and a recently established college for communicating a knowledge of the Irish language to students of divinity belonging to the Established church.—This parish is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath. Tithe composition, £192; glebe, £24. The rectories of Stackallen, Gernantown, and Dunmoe constitute the benefice of Stackallen. Length, 5 1/2 miles; breadth, 2 1/2. Population in 1831, 1,874. Gross income, £551 10s. 4d. ; nett, 4.457 10s. 3d. Patron, the Crown. The church was built about 200 years ago. Sittings 140; attendance, from 40 to 50. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 124; and the Roman Catholics to 693; the Protestants of the union to 158, and the Roman Catholics to 1,731 ; two daily schools in the parish were partially suppported  by respectively the rector and the Hon. Mrs. Hamilton, and had on their books 45 boys and 60 girls; and there was also a daily school in Germanstown. In 1843, a National school at Stackallen was salaried with £12 a year from the Board, and had on its books 76 boys and 58 girls.
Copied from:
https://books.google.ie/books?id=1HMuAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA275&lpg=PA275&dq

 

 

Firmount House.

 

Firmount House, Stackallen was described in 1835 as a modern two storey farm house in good repair. Dating to about 1780 Firmount was a gentleman farmer‟s residence erected by Lord Boyne. A two storey house there was a small plantation between the house and the road in the 1830s. It was vacant for a period in the late twentieth century until it was reconstructed and restored in 1984. Captain Michael Crinion farmed at Firmount for a period after the First Wold War.

Copied from:

www.meath-roots.com

Causestown House is located near Stackallen, Slane. A plaque at Causestown records the foundation date of 1748 and a reconstruction of 1845. The house includes an oratory. Causestown is a Victorian Tudor-Gothic style house. There is a lodge at the entrance. The Grainger family were the main family associated with Causestown. Bishop Plunket of Meath stayed at Causestown, home of Mr. Grainger on his visitation of parishes in 1795. He visited them again in 1796. In 1820 the Archbishop of Armagh, Dr. Curtis, dined with Bishop Plunket and Mr. Grainger at Causestown. In 1822 John Mears Grainger is recorded at Causestown. In 1835 Causestown was described as a good farm house, a neat modern two storey slated house in good repair. There was a plantation to the north and west of the house. The house was reconstructed in 1846 by Mr. Grainger. In 1834 William Edward Grainer, a magistrate, was living at Causestown. William Grainger married Anna Maria Eyre and died in 1872 at Causestown. In the 1850s John Allen was leasing the house and 284 acres from Lord Boyne. In 1876 Captain A. W. Shirley Ball of Causestown held 369 acres in County Meath. In 1901 the house was in the ownership of Edward Roundtree but unoccupied. In 1911 Edward Roundtree and his family were living at Causestown House. The house had seventeen rooms, eight windows to the front and eighteen outbuildings.

Copied from:

meath-roots.com