See also Beauparc.
PAINSTOWN

A parish on the north border of the barony of Lower Duleek, 24 miles south west by south of Slane, co. Meath, Leinster.  It contains the village of Yellow Furze. Length, south by eastward, 3 1/4 miles; extreme breadth, 13; area, 3,511 acres, 30 perches, of which 17 acres, 3 roods, 13 perches are in the river Boyne. Pop., in 1831, according to the Census 1,184, but according to the Ecclesiastical authorities 1,154; in 1841, 1,127. Houses 207. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 1,038; in 1841, 1,000. Houses 184.
The surface lies on the right bank of the Boyne, consists of good land, and is traversed by the road from Navan to Drogheda. Beaupark, the charmingly situated residence of Gustavus Lambart, Esq., is a plain square mansion, crowning the summit of a high bank which rises boldly from the river, and commanding a fine view of the majestic current of the stream, its richly wooded banks, and nearly all the plantations of Slane Castle demesne. The other seats are Thurstainstown house, Dollardstown house, Seneschaltown house, Greenhills house, and St. Clondhouse.

This parish is a rectory, in the dio. of Meath. Tithe composition, £276 18s. 5 1/2d.; glebe, £27 13s. 10 1/4d. The rectories of Painstown and Ardmulchan, constitute the benefice of Painstown. Length, 3 1/2 miles; breadth, 3 1/4. Pop., in 1831, 2,206. Gross income, £563 9s. 2 1/4d.; nett, £466 11s. 10 1/4d. Patron, the Crown one turn, and the diocesan two turns. The incumbent holds also the benefice of Innismot, in the dio. of Meath; but is resident in Painstown.
The church is a very old building; and, in 1823, it received the addition of a gallery, and its steeple was repaired and roofed by means of a loan of £369 4s. 73 1/2d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 150; attendance 100. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of from 700 to 800; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Black Lion, in the parish of Ballymagarvey. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 88, and the Roman Catholics to 1,080; the Protestants of the union to 207, and the Roman Catholics to 2,026; a daily school in the parish was aided with £2 a year from the Roman Catholic clergyman, and had on its books 34 boys and 12 girls; and there was also a daily school in Ardmulchan.

Source: Irish Parliamentary Gazzette, 1845, Vol. 3
********

The Lewis Topographical Directory was first published in 1837 in two volumes, with an accompanying atlas.  The first edition is available online. A second edition was published in 1842.

Lewis relied on the information provided by local contributors and on the earlier works published such as Coote's Statistical Survey (1801), Taylor and Skinner's Maps of the Road of Ireland (1777), Pigot's Trade Directory (1824) and other sources. He also used the various parliamentary reports and in particular the census of 1831 and the education returns of the 1820s and early 1830s. Local contributors were given the proof sheets for final comment and revision. The names of places are those in use prior to the publication of the Ordnance Survey Atlas in 1838. Distances are in Irish miles (the statute mile is 0.62 of an Irish mile).

Painstown, a parish, in the barony of Lower Duleek, county of Meath, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (S. W.) from Slane, on the road from Trim to Drogheda by Navan; containing 1184 inhabitants. This parish is intersected, in the northern portion, by the river Boyne, and comprises 3342 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.  The land is of good quality, nearly equally divided between tillage and pasture; and there is neither waste land nor bog.  Copper is supposed to exist here, but it has never been raised; and there are quarries of building stone. Beauparc, the spacious and elegant mansion of Gustavus Lambert, Esq., is situated on very elevated ground, overlooking the river Boyne, and commanding a view of some richly varied scenery; the grounds are celebrated both for natural and artificial beauty; the demesne contains about 300 Irish acres.  Dollardstown, a spacious mansion, the property of Sir W. Meredyth Somerville, Bart., and formerly a seat of the Meredyth family, is now occupied by a farmer.  Seneschalstown, now leased to L. Kelly, Esq., is the property of the Aylmer family: Tersington is the seat of T. Russell, Esq.; and the glebe house is the residence of the Rev. G. Brabazon.

In 1546, licence was granted to the bishop and clergy of Meath to alienate forever the advowson of Painstown, reserving to the bishop and his successors out of the rectory a yearly pension of £20: the living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council, in 1682, to the rectory of Ardmulchan, and in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop, the former having one, the latter two turns.  The tithes amount to £276. 18. 51/2., and the entire value of the benefice is £563. 9. 2.  The glebe house is close to the church, and was built in 1810, at a cost of £1260, of which £100 was a gift, and £625 a loan, from the late Board of First Fruits, the residue having been supplied by the incumbent.  The glebe of the union comprises 23 acres, valued at £32. 13. 10 3/4. per ann., but subject to a rent of £27. 13. 10 1/4.  The church is an old, but very neat edifice, with a handsome tower; in 1823, a gallery was erected at the west end, and the steeple was roofed and repaired, by aid of a loan of £400 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Blacklion, and has a chapel at Yellow Furze, a neat modern structure.  A school at Yellow Furze, in which are about 30 boys and 12 girls, is aided by an annual donation from the R. C. clergyman.