Ordnance Survey Field name Books of the County of Meath 1835 -36. Vol.1.
Oungentstown, Ardbraccan Parish
Baile Oinsion. Oungens is a family name.
Ongenstown John O'Donovan.
Owenchenstown County Map.
Ogenstown Survey and Valuation Report 1824.
Ongenstowne Civil Survey 1654-56.
Ongestowne Civil Survey 1654-56.
This townland is situated on the west side of the parish.
It is bounded on the north by the parish of Martry and the townland of Durhamstown.
It is bounded on the east by the townlands of Neillstown, Betaghstown and Ardbraccan.
It is bounded on the south by the townland of Irishtown and the parish of Churchtown.
It is bounded on the west by the parish of Clonmacduff.
It contains 1,267 acres and 34 perches, statute measure, of which 278 acres are bog; the
remainder of the townland is under cultivation. It is the property of the Earl of Essex. Agent, Thomas Davis, Esquire, of London. Some acres are held by Dr. Hazelwood of Navan under a lease of 1 life or 31 years at the yearly rent of 25 shillings per acre, and is sublet by him to undertenants at £2 per acre. About 140 acres are held under a similar lease by Mr. Ford of this townland at £1-8 shillings per acre. About 112 acres are held under a similar lease by Dr. Branigan of Dublin at from £1- 6 shillings to £1- 10 shillings per acre, and is sublet by him to undertenants at 55 shillings per acre.About 40 acres is held under a similar lease by Mr. O'Brien of this townland and is sublet by him to undertenants at £2 per acre.
The remainder of the townland is held immediately under the Earl of Essex in small farms of from 1 to 50 acres at about £1-4 shillings per acre. The tenants under the Earl of Essex have their bog free; but the under tenants have to pay £1-2 shillings -9 pence per perch for it.
In the bog near the east side of the townland there is a fine spring well, from which springs very strong iron water. The soil of the townland is generally yellow clay, except near the bog where it is of a moory nature.
Average productions are of wheat 8 barrels, of oats 10 barrels, and of potatoes 80 barrels per Irish acre.
The road from Trim to Kells passes through this townland, and the market attended is Navan, which is distant about 4 miles. The inhabitants are all Roman Catholics.
There was an old church and burying ground in this townland, but the church was pulled down, and the burial ground made into an orchard many years ago.