Balreask Old is about 1/2 mile from Navan town. It is well intersected by roads. The Dublin Rd runs to the east and the Navan to Trim Rd. passes through its centre. Kilcarn village is situated in its SE corner. The road to Athboy forms its southern boundary and the River Boyne forms its eastern boundary.
Balreask Old is bounded on the east by Athlumney Parish; to the south by Ardbraccan and Ardsallagh Parishes, and Ballybatter alias Balreask New. The Commons, Duncansland and Duffsland 1 &3 are found to the west and the townlands to the north are Town, Townparks, Dillonsland, Abbeylands no 2 and Limekilnhall.
Archaeological Inventory of County Meath, compiled by Michael J. Moore, (Dublin 1987)
398 - BALREASK OLD - OS 25:14:3 (44.5, 8.7) Not marked OD 100-200 N 8753, 6631
Souterrain - Two lengths of passage (L 14m) apparently ending in undifferentiated chamber (RMAHS 1962), 31-40) . SMR 25:35
1342 - BALREASK OLD - OS 25:15:1 (48.6, 8.5) 'Burial Ground (disused)' OD 100-200 N 8809, 6630
Church (site) - Dopping's visitation refers to a church here (RMAHS 1972, 11). Site now largely buried under a yard. SMR 25:36
1826 - BALLYBATTER OR BALREASK NEW/BALREASK OLD/KILCARN OS 25:15:4 (53.8, 1.3) 'Kilcarn Bridge' OD 137 N 8843, 6530
Bridge - Bridge of seven arches, channel now confined to four larger ones in centre. Bridge has been widened and wicker centering survives in third arch from E. bank. SMR 25:39 3/9/1984