A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF IRELAND;
EXHIBITING
The Names of the several Cities, Towns, Parishes, and Villages, with the Barony, County, and Province, to which they respectively belong.—The Valuation and Present State of the Ecclesiastical Benefices.—The Distance and Bearing of every Place from the nearest Post Office, and of the Post Offices from the Metropolis.—Fairs.—Members of Parliament, and Corporations.— Charter Schools.—And Assizes.—To which is added, Miscellaneous Information respecting Monastic Foundations, and other matters of Local History. Collected from the most Authentic Documents, and arranged in Alphabetical Order.
BEING A CONTINUATION OF THE TOPOGRAPHY OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF
GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND.
BY NICHOLAS CARLISLE,
FELLOW AND SECRETARY OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF LONDON.
LONDON:
PRINTED FOR WILLIAM MILLER, ALBEMARLE STREET,
BY WILLIAM SAVAGE, BEDFORD BURY.
1810.
...
ARDBRACCAN, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of Meath, and Province of Leinster: a R., united by Act of Council, on the 20th of December, 1771, to the Rectories of Churchtown, Liscarten, (V. of) Martry, and Rateyne; and, on the 23d of December 1780, to the Rectory of Clon Mac Duff: a Church, in Ardbraccan, in complete repair: a Glebe House, with every necessary office, on a Glebe, of 37 acres, within a quarter of a mile of the church: The Rev. Dean Richard Moore, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties, assisted by a Curate. Ardbraccan is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 1/2 m. W. from Navan. Here is a Charter School, for 60 Boys. The Right Rev. Thomas Lewis O'Beirne, D. D., Lord Bishop (in 1806) is resident in the Palace. The parishes in the Union of Ardbraccan are contiguous; that of Ardbraccan containing  286 1/2 acres of land.
"This was one of the ancient Bishopricks which now form the Diocese of Meath. In the year 1641, it was a place of considerable strength." -The late Bishop (in 1786), The Hon. Henry Maxwell, D. D., erected a magnificent Palace here. A. D. 650, died the Abbot St. Braccan, from whom this place is named; his feast is holden on the 16th of July. It is now a parish church."—Archdali's Monast. Hibern. p. 510.
..
ARDMULCHAN, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of Meath, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £21..15..6. Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Painstown. Ardmulchan is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 1/2 m. N. E. from Navan. It is situate on the River Boyne. This parish contains 1964 acres of land. See, Painstown.—
" By an Inquisition taken in the 10th of King James, it was found, that in the parish church of St. Mary was a perpetual Chantry of one Priest, who was constantly to celebrate Service therein. The Chantry was a Body corporate, &c."—Archdall's Monast. Hibern. p. 512.
..
ARDSALLAGH, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of Meath, and Province of Leinster: a R., being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Navan. Ardsallagh is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 1/2 m. S. from Navan. It is situate on the River Boyne. It gives title to the Family of Ludlow, created Viscount Preston of Ardsallagh. Here is a beautiful seat of the Earl of Ludlow. This parish contains 948 acres of land. See, Navan. According to Mr. Archdall, a Monastery was founded here ; but of which nothing further is known.
..
ATHLUMNEY, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of Meath, and Province of Leinster: a V., valued in the King's Books at £6..2..0 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Navan. Athlumney is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3/4 m. S. b. E. from Navan. It is situate on the River Boyne. This parish contains 1329 acres of land. See, Navan.
..
BALLYMAGARVEY, in the Barony of Duleek, Co. of Meath, and Province of Leinster: a R. and V., valued in the King's Books at £9..9..6 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Kentstown. Ballymagarvey is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 6m. S. from Slane. See, Kentstown.
..
BECT1VE, or, DE BEATITUDINE, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of Meath, and Province of Leinster: a R., entirely Impropriate in L. Bolton, Esq.: no Church: no Glebe: no Salary; the Sum of £4. per annum was formerly allowed, but it is now withdrawn. Bective is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 4 m. N. E  b. E. from Trim. It is situate upon the River Boyne. It gives title of Earl to the noble family of Taylor. The Fairs are holden on the 16th of May, and 1st of November.—
" Murchard O'Melaghlin, King of Meath, founded an Abbey here for Cistertian Monks, under the Invocation of the Virgin Mary, in the year 1146 or 1152, The Abbot sat as a Baron in Parliament. There are large ruins remaining of this building, and the cloisters with a tower are almost entire."—Archdall's Monast. Hibern. p. 516.
...
BLACK LION, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster. A village.
...
BROWNSTOWN, in the Barony of Duleek, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., entirely Impropriate, in Sir Marcus Somerville, being one of the parishes which constitute the R. of Kentstown: no Church: no House, or Glebe: no Curate's Salary allowed. Brownstown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 m. S. S. W. from Slane. See, Kentstown.
...
CHURCHTOWN, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Ardbraccan. Churchtown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3 1/4 m. S. W. from Navan. This parish contains 671 acres of land. See, Ardbraccan.
...
CLONGILL, in the Barony of Morgallion, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £lO. Irish Money: a Church, very small, but kept in complete repair by the Incumbent; the parish being too small to afford an adequate cess for the purpose: no Glebe House: four scattered Glebes in the parish; one, of 1 1/4 acres, about a quarter of a mile from the church: a second, of 1a. 1r. 4p., at the same distance ; a third, of 1a. 2r. 26p., close to the church ; and the fourth, of 1a. Or. 18p., also near the church: the Incumbent is under injunction to build, and is preparing his Memorial and plan for that purpose: The Rev. Mungo Henry Noble, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, and discharges the duties. Clongill is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 4 3/4 m. N. N. W. from Navan.
...
CLON MAC DUFF, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of Meath, and Province of Leinster: a R., being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Ardbraccan. Clon Mac Duff is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3 m. N, from Trim. This parish contains 995 acres of land. See, Ardbraccan.
...
DANESTOWN, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a V., augmented with a R., and valued in the King's Books at £3..10..0 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Kentstown. Danestown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 6 1/2m. S. b. W, from Slane. See, Kentstown.
...
DONAGHMORE, in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a V., valued in the King's Books at £9..9..8 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Navan. Donaghmore is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is l 1/2 m. N. E. from Navan. This parish contains 2170 acres of land. See, Navan.
...
DONOGH PATRICK, in the Barony of Kells, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R. and V., valued in the King's Books at £7..16..0 Irish Money, and united, by Act of Council, on the 29th of December, 1801, to the R. of Kilberry: a Church, newly built, in the parish of Donogh Patrick, and in complete repair: no Glebe House: a Glebe, of 6a. 1r. 37p., in Kilberry, round the ruins of the old church, and upwards of two miles from the new church at Donogh Patrick: near this church is a glebe of about the sixth part of an acre; and, as a promise has been made of an additional glebe contiguous to it, it is proposed to build the Glebe House thereon: The Rev. George O'Connor, the Incumbent (in 1806); the duties are discharged by his Curate, at a Salary of £75. per annum. Donogh Patrick is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 4 m. N. W. from Navan. The parishes in the Union of Donogh Patrick are contiguous; that of Donogh Patrick containing 1943 acres of land.—"This ancient town, now reduced and depopulated, was pleasantly situated on the River Blackwater. Our Tutelary Saint founded an Abbey here, to which Conal Mac Neill, brother to King Leogair, was a great Benefactor."—Archdall's Monast. Hiiem. p. 529.
...
DOWDSTOWN, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a V., valued in the King's Books at £2..13..4 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Skryne. Dowdstown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3 3/4 m. S. b. E. from Navan. It is situate upon the River Boyne. This parish contains 642 acres of land. See, Skryne.
...
DRAKESTOWN, in the Barony of Morgallion, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £10..10..8 Irish Money, and united by Act of Council (the date of which cannot be ascertained; but in the Act of Parliament, of the 9° Queen Anne, power was given to remove the site of the church, from Drakestown, which is stated in the Act to have been made the parish church, by the original Act of Union, to Kilpatrick), to the Vicarages of Kilpatrick, and Knough: a Church, in Kilpatrick, in decent repair: a Glebe House, in Kilpatrick, with every necessary Office: in Drakestown, two portions of Glebe, making together 5a. Or. 14p., about one mile from the church: in Knough, 3a. 2r. 30p., about the same distance from the church; and, in Kilpatrick, 36a. Or. 23p.: The Rev. Samuel Close, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, and lives on his other Benefice in Armagh: the duties are discharged by his Resident Curate, at a Salary of £75. per annum, with the house, garden, and offices. Drakestown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3 3/4 m. S. b. W. from Nobber. The parishes in the Union of Drakestown are contiguous; that of Drakestown containing 1380 acres.
...
DUNMOWE, in the Barony of Morgallion, though locally situate in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £7..18.. 4 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Stackallan. Dunmowe is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 m. N. E. from Navan. This parish contains 600 acres of land. See, Stackallan.
...
FEARTACHEARBAIN, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster. According to Mr. Archdall, St. Carbarn was Bishop of this church in the year 499: it is now unknown.
...
GERNONSTOWN, in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R , valued in the King's Books at £14..8..6 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Stackallan. Gernonstown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 1/4 m. W. from Slane. This parish contains 1442 acres of Land. See, Stackallan.
...
GRANGE-GEETH, in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a Chapel of Ease, belonging to Armagh: no Church, or Glebe, or House, or Salary. Grange-Geeth is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 1/2 m. N. from Slane.
...
KENTSTOWN, in the Barony of Duleek, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £10..12. .8  Irish Money, and united by Act of Council, on the 5th of July 1751, to the Rectories of Ballymagarvey, Brownstown, and Danestown: a Church, undergoing a thorough repair, in Kentstown: no Glebe House, and the Incumbent resists an injunction to build, on the ground that the Right of the Crown, by which he has been presented to this Living, is disputed: a Glebe, of 4 acres, contiguous to the church: l 1/4 acre, in Danestown, about half a mile from the church: and 4 1/2 acres, in Ballymagarvey, about one mile from the church: The Rev. John Toler, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, and discharges the duties. Kentstown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 1/4 m, S. b. W. from Slane. The parishes in the Union of Kentstown are contiguous.
...
KILBERRY, in the Barony of Morgallion, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £18. Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Donogh Patrick. Kilberry is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3 1/2 m. N. from Navan. This parish contains 2260 acres of land. See, Donogh Patrick. According to Mr. Archdall, there was a Perpetual Chantry of two Priests, or Chaplains, in the parish church of St. Mary here.
...
KILCARN, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a Chapelry, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Skryne. Kilcarn is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3 m. S. b. E. from Navan. It is situate on the River Boyne. This parish contains 951 acres of land. See, Skryne.
...
KILLALTON, or, TELTOWN, in the Barony of Kells, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a Lay Impropriation: the Church is in ruins: no Glebe: no Curate's Salary allowed. Killalton is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3 3/4 m. S. E. from Kells. It is situate on the River Blackwater. According to Mr. Archdall, St. Teallean founded the Church of Teachtelle, where his Feast is holden on the 25th of June.
...
KILLARVEY, or, KILLARY, in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R. and V.: the Rectory is valued in the King's Books at £20..5..0 Irish Money: The Rev. George Lambart, the Rector (in 1806), is non resident, and has not cure of souls: the Vicarage (endowed) is valued in the King's Books at £3..10..0 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Syddan. Killarvey is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 4 m. S. E. b. S. from Nobber. This parish contains 2562 acres of land. See, Syddan.
...
KILMESSAN, in the Barony of Deece, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a V., valued in the King's Books at £3..17..0 Irish Money, and Episcopally united, in 1804, to the V. of Macetown : a Church, in Kilmessan, in tolerable repair: a Glebe House, on 6 acres of Glebe, near the church, and 6 acres more, at three quarters of a mile's distance: The Rev. D. C. Ingham, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties. The parishes of Kilmessan and Macetown were united, although not contiguous, on account of the smallness of Income: Kilmessan being but £100 per annum, and Macetown £l2. Kilmessan is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 m. N. W. from Dunshaglin.
...
KILPATRICK, in the Barony of Morgailion, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a V., valued in the King's Books at £5..17..1 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Drakestown. Kilpatrick is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 1/2 m. S. b. E. from Nobber. This parish contains 2150 acres of land. See, Drakestown.
...
KILSHENY, or, KILSHYNE, in the Barony of Morgallion, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R.: the Church is in ruins; the parish being too small to support one: no Glebe House: 13 acres of Glebe, surrounding the ruins of the old church: The Rev. Robert Barker, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, but is non resident, being excused on account of infirmity: the duties are dicharged by a neighbouring Clergyman: It is recommended to unite this parish with the Rectory of Clongill, to which it is contiguous. Kilsheny is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 1/2 m. N. b. W. from Navan. According to the Ecclesiastical Report, this Benefice is too small to afford the means of comfort to a Resident Incumbent.
...
KNOUGH, in the Barony of Morgallion, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster; a V., being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Drakestown. Knough is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 4m. S. S. E. from Nobber. This parish contains 450 acres of land. See, Drakestown.
—" Donchad Hua Kervail, Prince of this country, and Edan Coellaidhe, Bishop of Clogher, founded a Priory here for Regular Canons, under the Rule of St. Angustin, in the year 1148, which he dedicated to the Saints Peter and Paul;"- Archdall's Monast. Hibern. p. 466.
...
LISCARTEN, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £9..6..0 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Ardbraccan. Liscarten is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 1/2 m. N. W. from Navan. This parish contains 706 acres of land. See, Ardbraccan. The Castle here was the birth place of the first Lord Cadogan, to which family it belongs.
...
LISMULLEN, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a Chapelry, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Skryne. Lismullen is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 m. S. S. E. from Navan. This parish, with the parish of Templecarnan, contains 650 acres of land. See, Skryne. Here is a Seat of Lord Dillon. According to Mr. Archdall, Alicia, sister to Richard de la Corner, Bishop of Meath, founded a Religious House in this village in the year 1240, under the Invocation of the Holy Trinity, for Nuns following the Rule of St. Augustine.
...
MARTRY, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a V., being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Ardbraccan. Martry is in the Diocese of Mcath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 m. N. W. from Navan. This parish contains 1733 acres of land. See, Ardbraccan.
...
MITCHELSTOWN, or, STROKESTOWN, in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £9..3..0 Irish Money, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Syddan. Mitchelstown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 3/4 m. S. E. from Nobber. This parish contains 395 acres of land. See, Syddan.
....
MONKSTOWN, in the Barony of Skryue, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a Lay Impropriation: no Church, no Glebe, or House: no Salary. Monkstown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 m. S. E. b. S. from Navan.
...
NAVAN, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster a R., united by Act of Council, some time in the Seventeenth century, (of which there is no special Record, but since that period it has been presented to as a Perpetual Union), to the R. of Ardsallagh, and the V. of Donaghmore; and Episcopally, to the V. of Athlumney, in 1789: a Church, in Navan, in complete repair: no Glebe House; 10 acres of Glebe, in detached parcels; 3 acres being within 2 1/2 miles of the church; 2 acres, distant from the last about a quarter of a mile; 2 acres about a mile from the church of Navan, and a quarter of an acre near the old church of Donaghmore: The Rev. Daniel Augustus Beaufort, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, and lives on his other Benefice in the Diocese of Armagh: the duties are discharged by his Resident Curate (and frequently by the Incumbent), at a Salary of £75. per annum. According to the Ecclesiastical Report, to secure residence in this parish, a Glebe House must be built; and the Corporation of Navan have it in contemplation to give an additional Glebe of 40 acres, convenient to the church, for this purpose: and the Incumbent is in hopes to have the grant made, which it seems expedient, under the present circumstances of the Benefice, to wait for. Navan is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 23 3/4 m. N. b. W. from Dublin.The Fairs are holden on Easter Monday, the day after Trinity Sunday, the second Monday in September, and the first Monday in December. It is situate on the River Boyne. It has six Post days in the week. The parishes in the Union of Navan are contiguous; that of Navan containing 2160 acres. It was an ancient Palatinate; and in former ages was high in repute; it was walled by Hugh de Lacie. Here is a School, which was founded by Alderman John Preston, in 1686. —" An Abbey for Regular Canons was erected here under the Invocation of the Virgin Mary; whether it existed before the end of the 12th century we are at a loss to determine, but about that period it was either founded or re-edified by Joceline de Angulo, or Nangle. In the burial ground are the remains of many ancient tombs, with figures in alto releivo; and the present Horse barrack is erected on the site of the abbey."—Archdalls Monast. Hibcrn. p. 558.
...
RATEYNE, or, RATHYNE, in the Barony of Navan, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Ardbraccan. Rateyne is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 3m. N. E. from Trim. This parish contains 859 acres of land. See, Ardbraccan.
...
RATHKENNY, in the Barony of Navan, though locally situate in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster : a V., valued in the King's Books at £10.. 9.. 4 Irish Money: a Church, old, but in good repair: no Glebe House: about an acre of Glebe, adjoining to the Church yard: The Rev. Robert Henry, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, and lives sufficiently near to discharge the duties. Rathkenny is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 1/4 m. N. W. from Slane.
...
ROSSE, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster. It is 1 m. S. E. from Taragh. According to Mr. Archdall, St. Coeman Breac, who was Abbot here, died on the 14th of September 614.
...
SKRYNE, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATII, and Province of Leinster: a V., valued in the King's Books at £6..18..0 Irish Money, and united by Act of Council, in 1677, to the V. of Dowdstown, and the Chapelries of Kilcarn,  Lisrnullen, Rathfaygth, and Templecarnan: a Church, in Skryne, in bad repair: the site is inconvenient, and the Parishioners are preparing a Fund to build one in a more central situation: no Glebe House: a Glebe, in Skryne, of 22 acres, in four different Parcels: and for which an exchange has been agreed upon, in an equivalent lying together and convenient to the church; whereon, as soon as the legal forms are gone through, the Incumbent is to build a Glebe House, having presented a Memorial for that purpose: The Rev. Stephen Ratcliffe, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties. Skryne is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 m. N. from Dunshaglin. The Fairs are holden on the 20th of June, and 10th of October. The parishes in the Union of Skryne are contiguous; that of Skryne containing 3150 acres of land.
—"In former times it was called Scrinium St. Columboe, from the shrine of that Saint, which in the year 875 was brought from Britain into Ireland, to prevent its falling into the hands of the Danes. In the year 1175, Adam deFeypo erected a Castle in this town. —The Abbey of Regular Canons was plundered by the Ostmen, A. D. 1027. —In the year 1341, the Lord Francis de Feypo granted to the Eremite Friars of the Order of St. Augustin, a piece of ground adjacent to his park, for the space and term of 99 years, at the rent of a pepper corn annually. The ruins of this building, situated near the church, may still be seen. —The same Lord de Feypo founded here, about the year 1342, a Perpetual Chantry."—Archdalls Monast. Hibern. p. 569.
...
STACKALLAN, in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., valued in the King's Books at £lO..O..O Irish Money, and united by Act of Council, (on the 21st of May 1667; but the Patronage not having been settled, a new Act was obtained, on the 16th of December 1800,) to the Rectories of Dunmowe, and Gernonstown: a Church, in Stackallan, in indifferent repair: a small thatched Cabbin, on a Glebe, of 9 acres, close to the church: there is also a Glebe, of 12 acres, in Gernonstown, about two miles and an half from the church: The Rev. George Hardman, the Incumbent (in 1806) who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties; and is under an injunction to build. Stackallan is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province ofArmagh. It is 3 m. N. E. from Navan. Here is the Seat of Lord Boyne. The parishes in the Union of Stackallan are contiguous ; that of Stackallan containing 1222 acres.
...
STAFFORDSTOWN, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R., entirely Impropriate, in John Dawson, Esq.: no Church: no Glebe: no Curate's salary allowed. Staffordstown is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh.
...
SYDDAN, in the Barony of Slane, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a R. and V., valued in the King's Books at £8..11..0 Irish Money, and united by Act of Council, on the 23d of September 1734, to the V. of Killarvey, and the R. of Mitchelstown; and Episcopally, in the month of November 1788, to the Rectories of Cruisetown, and Stahalmock: a Church, in Syddan, in complete repair: a Glebe House, in Syddan, on a Glebe of 20 acres, about a quarter of a mile from the church: in Killarvey are four acres; in Mitchelstown 9 3/4 acres, about two miles from the church: in Stahalmock 24 acres round the ruins of the old church, four miles from the church of Syddan; and one acre at Cruisetown, about the same distance: The Rev. Brab. Disney, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties. The parish of Syddan, which contains 2442 acres of land, is contiguous to the parishes of Killarvey, and Mitchelstown: The parishes of Cruisetown, and Stahalmock, are contiguous to each other, but are distant from the former four miles; Upon which account, another distribution of them appears to be necessary, especially as there are other small parishes contiguous, to which they might be permanently united. Syddan is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 4 m. S. E. from Nobber.
...
TARAGH, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a V., valued in the King's Books at £5. Irish Money, and united by Act of Council, on the 21st of March, 1680, to the R. of Dunsany, and the V. of Killeen ; and Episcopally, in 1781, to the Rectories of Knockmark, and Oddor: a Church, in Taragh, very small, but in tolerable repair: no Glebe House; a Glebe, of 8a. 3r. 15p., close to the church: in Killeen, are two Glebes, one of 50 acres about 3 miles from that of Taragh, and another of about two acres, at the same distance: The Rev. John Rogers, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls; the duties are discharged by his Curate, at a Salary of £75. per annum. Taragh is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 5 m. N. b. W. from Dunshaglin. The parishes in the Union of Taragh are contiguous; that of Taragh containing 1950 acres. Here is the celebrated Hill of Taragh, whereon the States are said to have assembled for several ages.
...
TEMPLECARNAN, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a Chapelry, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Skryne. Templecarnan is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. See, Lismullcn, and Skryne.
...
TRYVET, or, TREVOT, in the Barony of Skryne, Co. of MEATH, and Province of Leinster: a V., valued in the King's Books at £5..12.. 8 Irish Money, and united by Act of Council, on the 27th of May 1678, to the R. of Kilbrew: a Church, in Kilbrew, lately put into perfect repair: no Glebe House; one acre of Glebe, in Kilbrew, and one acre in Tryvet, distant from each other about two miles, and each of them close to their respective church, and ruin of a church: The Rev. John Staples, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, and lives on his other Benefice, in the Diocese of Armagh: the duties are discharged by his Curate, at a Salary of £75, per annum. Tryvet is in the Diocese of Meath, and Province of Armagh. It is 2 1/2m. N. N. E. from Dunshaglin. The parishes in the Union of Tryvet are contiguous; that of Tryvet containing 2218 acres of land.
—" Hugh de Lacie rebuilt this ancient town, where he planted a colony of his English followers; it afterwards became a place of considerable note, but has since fallen to decay, and is now an obscure village. Here was a considerable Monastery; we cannot learn by whom it was founded. The English, under Hugh de Lacie, erected a large Church here in honour of St. Patrick; it is now in ruins, but many fragments of beautiful tombs and monuments still remain."—Archdall's Monast. Hibcrn. p. 574.