Bellinter House

Bellinter House sits on the south bank of the River Boyne within sight of ancient Tara and approximately six miles from the town of Navan.  This splendid Georgian mansion, built about 1750, was designed by Richard Castle for John Preston, grandfather of the first Lord Tara.

Bellinter (or more correctly Ballinter) takes its name from the Irish or Gaelic words, "Balle an tSaoir," which means the home of the stonemason.  Bellinter is located in the civil parish of Assey and in the barony of Lower Deece in the County of Meath.

Bellinter House is built on the bank of the Boyne river, a river which sets forth the history of Ireland on its journey to the sea.  Over 5,000 years ago the Impressive tombs of Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth were built on the banks of this river by men who were only acquainted with stone and wood, while 3,000 years later the Celtic High Kings of Ireland ruled from their palaces on the Hill of Tara.  St. Patrick started his conversion of the Irish at Slane and began a golden period in Irish history when Ireland became known as the "Island of Saints and Scholars."  Kells was one such monastic centre, made famous by its connection to the Book of Kells, the most beautiful illuminated manuscript of the Middle Ages.  The Anglo-Norman Invaders made Meath one of their strongholds while in the 17th century Cromwell led his armies through the river valley.  Ireland continued to be a battleground with the Battle of the Boyne being fought between two kings in 1690.

Following these Invasions and wars, the rich lands of Meath changed hands and the new landowners built mansions beside the river.  Up river one can find Bective House, Balsoon House and Rathnally while downstream is Dowdstown and Ardsallagh.  These mansions have now lost the huge estates which supported the upkeep of these "big houses" and so are left without an income to support their upkeep.

Bellinter House was home to the Preston family for nearly two centuries and is one of the finest examples of country architecture in Co. Meath. A medium sized country house, Bellinter was designed in a country villa style by Richard Castle for John Preston.  Houses such as this were designed for wealthy men who left the city in the summer and played at country gentlemen.  The house was a retreat and a functioning estate house.  The main floor was the area to which the public were admitted with the first floor being for real family life.  The basements were for the servants.  One wing contained the servants' quarters and the kitchens while the other contained the stables.  The vaulted stables had oat lofts overhead and a crusher house.  One gate at one end of the house led to the stableyard while the other led to the farmyard.

An inventory of furniture at Bellinter was made about 1893 when the Briscoe family took over the house.  A total of 48 pages listed approximately 1,200 Items.  The contents were listed according to the room with the names of each room given:- Butler's pantry, diningroom, study, drawingroom, yellow room, new room, blue room, stair head, stair case, hall, Duffy's room, study, passages, His Reverence's room, morning room, housekeeper's room, housemaid's room, spare room and dressing room.

In 1901 the house is listed as having 22 rooms and 46 outbuildings.  Living in the house with the family were William Swan, the butler (aged 70), Bridget Geraghty, the cook (aged 50), Theresa Mulvany, the housemaid (aged 50), Ellen Molloy, the kitchen maid (aged 30), the steward, Michael Bennett (aged 55) and two grooms.  Living near the "big house" were the gardener, the pantry boy and the kennel huntsman.  In the 1911 census an Italian butler, Egido Macario, appears in the house as does George Pritchard, a game keeper.  In 1893 there were 21 workmen employed on the estate at an average wage of 9 shillings (45p) a week.

In 1924 Cecil Henry Briscoe described the house as containing two drawing rooms, large and small dining rooms, library, hall with full sized billiard table, seven bedrooms, bathroom and servants' apartments in a separate wing.  There was a separate herd's house and compact living house in the yard and also a gardener's house.  The demesne had a 9 hole golf course, Bellinter Golf Club, now Royal Tara Golf Club, let on a lease for £70 per annum.  There was good stabling with 19 loose boxes, excellent duck shooting and good gallops for training racehorses.

The Briscoe family sold the house to William Holdsworth in the 1950's.  The estate was purchased by the Irish Land Commission and broken up into farms of 50 acres or less.  The house and 12 acres of land were purchased by the Sisters of Sion in 1965 and they took up residence in 1966. At this stage the house needed extensive repairs with leaks in the roof and the front badly overgrown.  The Sisters brought the house back to its original beauty where possible and have very sensitively adapted the building for their use.

John Preston founded the family fortune in Co. Meath.  The son of Hugh Bolton of Preston, John is said to have been the grandson of Jenico, the third Viscount Gormanston.  The Gormanstons held a large amount of property in the eastern part of Co. Meath where they established themselves in the 15th century.  The family managed to retain their lands and hold onto their Catholic faith. John Preston established himself first in Dublin city.  A merchant, he was appointed as clerk of the Tholsel or Market House in 1650.  Two days later he was elected as Alderman in the Corporation or city Government.  Serving as city auditor on a number of occasions, John Preston was elected as Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1653.

Oliver Cromwell confiscated the lands of the Catholic Irish who had fought against his Parliamentary Armies.  The confiscated lands were parcelled out to his soldiers and those who had invested in his campaigns, in lieu of a monetary reward.  Many of the soldiers and adventurers who had backed Cromwell did not wish to leave England and move to an alien and hostile land and so sold the properties which they had been given.

The Nangle family, who held the title Barons of Navan, were outlawed and their lands confiscated. John Preston purchased their property from the English soldiers and adventurers who had no interest in coming to Ireland.  In this manner he managed to acquire 7,859 acres of land In Meath and Queen's County (now Co. Laois).  He placed 1,737 acres in trust for the keeping of two schools, one at Navan and the other at Ballyroan in Queen's County.  This may have been a ploy which would have made it more difficult for the original owners to seek return of their property when charitable institutions were involved.

For the first 150 years of the Preston School at Navan, the income of the lands held in trust went to the school headmaster who was usually a relative of the Preston family.  For example, in 1755, Mr. Preston appointed his brother as school master.  In the early part of the 19th century the school never had more than seven pupils with Roman Catholics sometimes being admitted.  The Royal Commissioners considered the school as "one of the most remarkable instances of an abused trust" and the Bishop of Meath was also displeased with the situation in the school.  The school was reformed and managed to survive until 1969 when it was amalgamated with Wilson's Hospital school.  The site of the school was used for the building of Navan Shopping Centre.  In 1986 a plaque was erected at the shopping centre to commemorate the tricentenary of the Preston school (1686- 1986).

Alderman John Preston of Dublin was elected as Member of Parliament for Navan in 1661. When Charles II was restored to the throne John Preston was confirmed in his occupation of 7,859 acres of land under the Acts of Settlement.  In 1666 John Preston also held property in Dublin and he donated sites for the Royal Hospital at Kilmainham and for the Bluecoat School.  It is reputed that John Preston married a daughter of Baron Nangle of Navan and that this was how he came into the lands in Co. Meath.  However, this cannot be confirmed.  John had four sons - Phineas who inherited his father's estates at Ardsallagh; Samuel who established himself in Queen's County; John of Balsoon whose descendants lived at Bellinter, and Nathanial from whom the Swainstown branch are descended. John Preston's eldest son, Phineas, lived at Ardsallagh.

His son, John, died leaving his daughter, Mary, to inherit the estates.  Mary married Peter Ludlow, a grand-nephew of one of Cromwell's generals, in 1710. Peter was MP for Meath and was succeeded by his son, Peter, who created first Earl Ludlow in 1760. The first Earl was succeeded by his eldest son, Augustus, who in turn was succeeded by another brother, George James. The third Earl died without an heir and he left the property to the Duke of Bedford because he supported the same political views.

The Duke willed the property to his brother, Lord John Russell, who became Prime Minister of England.  The famous philosopher, Bernard Russell, was the last owner of the estates.

The fourth son of John Preston, Nathaniel, was born about 1678 and established his estate at Swainstown, Kilmessan, where the family still live today.  In 1713 Nathaniel was elected as MP for Navan and served until 1760.  Many of his descendants became clergymen.  His second son, also called Nathaniel, inherited the property and was succeeded by his son, Nathaniel, and this name continued in the family to the present times.  In 1876 Nathaniel F. Preston of Swainstown held 12,34 acres In Co. Meath.  The Prestons are interred in a vault under Kilmessan Church.  Within the church are a number of memorials to the Swainstown branch of the family, including a magnificent memorial to Major General Arthur Preston who died in 1788.

Source: /


Bellinter House sits on the south banks of the Boyne, within sight of ancient Tara and six miles from the town of Navan.  Bellinter House is a Palladian house by Richard Castle and was one of the last country houses designed by him.  Consisting of a central block of two storey over basement with attic Bellinter has two wings, one of which was used for stabling and one of which was the kitchens and servants quarters.  The entrance hall has a majestic fireplace of Ardbraccan limestone and some fine plasterwork. A panel in one of the upstairs bathrooms bears the inscription, "Where will we be September 22nd 1770. (Dated) Sept. 22nd ‟68.‟  The servant‟s staircase is spiral and made of wood.  An icehouse is located to the southwest of the house along with the remains of a kitchen garden.

John Preston established the family at Ardsallagh in the 1660's. The Preston School in Navan was established in Navan with the revenue from the school's estate being paid to the headmaster who was usually a member of the Preston family.  John Preston erected Bellinter house about 1750 to the design of Richard Castle.  John was elected MP for Navan.  His younger brother, Joseph, was also elected as MP for Navan.  Joseph was described as "the merest fribble of a man that ever existed.‟

John Preston IV became Lord Tara in 1800. He fought against the rebels on the Hill of Tara in 1798.  His title was probably due to his support for the Act of Union.  John died in 1821 and the title died with him.  He was succeeded by his brother, Joseph.  His son, John Joseph succeeded him.  John Joseph was a noted huntsman and founded the Tara Harriers. John Joseph Preston held 6,839 acres in County Meath in 1883.

John Joseph died in 1892 without a male heir and the estate passed to the Briscoe family.  The Briscoes were originally from Tipperary and Gussie Briscoe was the son of the Rev. Francis Briscoe, the rector of Kilmessan.  Gussie Briscoe once rode a horse up the spiral staircase to win a bet.  Having reached the attic and winning the bet the horse refused to go down the stairs and had to spend more than a week until a winch could be erected to lower the horse safely.  Gussie permitted the British Isrealites to excavate on Tara in the search for the Ark of the Covenant.  This permission and the dig caused uproar among Irish Nationalists resulting in visits to Tara by W.B. Yeats, Douglas Hyde and Arthur Griffith.  It is said that Brisoe buried wooden boxes and pieces of coal for the British Isrealites to uncover.

Gussie Briscoe married Amy Smith from Duleek House and their second son Cecil Henry Briscoe succeeded at Bellinter.  Most of the estate had been disposed of by the 1930's.  Cecil Henry installed a diesel generator to provide electric light and also installed running water in the house.  George Brisoce inherited the house and he continued the hunting tradition. Bellinter was described as a "very happy and friendly house‟ by George and Louisa Briscoe.

In 1955 he sold the house to a Mr. Holdsworth. In 1966 the house was purchased by the Sisters of Sion. The Sisters of Sion were founded in the middle of the nineteenth century in France.  Their mission is to promote better understanding between Christians and Jews.  The sisters supported themselves at Bellinter by growing flowers and tomatoes and slowly Bellinter also developed into an adult education and conference centre.  The servant's hall was converted to the community's chapel.

Bellinter House is now a hotel and restaurant.




The Parliamentary Gazetteer 0f Ireland, 1844-1845, Vol. 1

Bellinter, a demesne in the parish of Assey, barony of Lower Deece, Co. Meath, Leinster.  It is situated on the right bank of the Boyne, 3 1/2 miles south south west of Navan. The mansion is now the seat of the Rev. Joseph Preston, but was formerly the residence of the Lords Tara; and was built, last century, by one of these noblemen, after designs, it is believed, of Mr. Cassels, who is known among artists for having introduced to Ireland the Palladian style of architecture.  The plan comprehends a central structure, containing the principal apartments; and wings, which have the appearance of separate square houses, and are connected with the main building by colonnades.  The demesne is disposed with much taste, and greatly enriched by fine and diversified views of the banks and basin of the Boyne; and it blends, at its upper extremity, with the plantations of Bective house.